3 Steps to Create an Email Distribution List from a Category in MS Outlook
An Email Distribution List is really just a collection of
names and emails that you can work with as a single unit.
And it's great for emailing the same group of people all
the time without searching and gathering each person. Thus,
all the contacts in a Distribution list are kept as a named
group which appears in your Contact list as exactly
that...another Contact! (the contact title bar has two
heads denoting that contact as a distribution list).
Creating a Distribution List is easy. You simply press
Ctrl-Shift-L, name the list, and add members. If I am in a
Mastermind group with 10 people, we are likely emailing
each other all the time--the mail is directed to all. So,
when I create a Distribution List by the name of Melanie's
Gold Mastermind and I add members to it, I am creating a
contact by the name Melanie's Gold Mastermind and can
simply right-click on it at anytime from the address list
and select New Message to Contact.
But what if I have 100 people and they are already in a
category for Melanie's group. Do I need to add them one at
a time? Ugh.
No.... There is a much faster way.
You can add them from the By Category view in my Advanced
Toolbar--with just a small twist.
Here's how to do it in 3 steps.
Step 1: Create a view of Name & Emails
- Turn on the Advanced Toolbar if it is not already on.
(Right-click anywhere in the toolbar area and left-click
- Click on the Contacts Navigation Pane or Folder
- In the Current View drop-down box scroll to the bottom of
the list and select Define Views...
- In the Custom View Organizer click on New. Name the view
Copy Dist List and Click OK
- In the Customize View click on Fields and remove all
fields on the right side
- Find Full Name in List on the left and add it to the
- In the Select available fields from drop-down box, select
the E-mail fields set and drag E-mail to the right side.
- Click on Filter and More Choices to get to the Category
Filter. Click on Category and assign that category you are
selecting for the Distribution List. Click OK to close the
Categories and OK to close the Filter
- What is now showing is the list of emails for the
category you selected.
Step 2: Copy the Email Rows
- Now, left-click on the first row.
- Hold down the Shift key and click on the last row. This
will highlight all rows.
- Press Ctrl-C to copy to clipboard
Step 3: Create the Distribution List from the Copy
- Use Ctrl-Shift-L to create a new distribution list (don't
be in a search box)
- Click on Select Members and click the cursor in the
Members text box
- Press Ctrl-V to paste the list from the clipboard. Before
you click OK scroll to the top, highlight and erase Full
Name E-Mail. Now press OK
- Give the List a Name like Melanie's Gold Mastermind and
then Save and Close.
You now have a new Distribution list which you can quickly
email. In the Contacts View find the List (remember it has
the 2 heads in the contact title). Right-click and choose
New Message to Contact.
About the Author:
There are fast, smart ways of finding Outlook Contact
records instantly. Find out at
Paul Wagner is a contributing writer, teacher, coach,
consultant, and radio show host teaching businesses and
entrepreneurs how to overcome technical overwhelm by
working faster and smarter with their software in business.
Learn about Outlook Training on Video CD's at