by Robert Hashemian
Free Check/Cheque Generator
Note 1: This service comes with NO GUARANTEES. No liability is assumed.
Note 2: This service is solely informational and not for actual financial transactions.
Anatomy of a Check
Most of the typical American check's surface (cheque, in non-American English) is self-explanatory. There is the account holder's name and
address, the check number, blank space to write in the payee's name, a box to write in the dollar amount in digits, blank space to
write in the dollar amount in letters, an area for a memo and finally the area to sign the check.
The interesting and mysterious part is a line at the bottom of the check with strange looking numbers and symbols. The line consists of digits and symbols
in a special font known as MICR
which is usually magnetized and scannable and machine-readable.
The line usually consists of 3 sections.
- Routing or ABA number - A unique code assigned to a bank and known by the American financial industry. More on the routing number here.
- Account number - The checking account number the bank has assigned to the account holder.
- Check number - This number generally agrees with the legible check number on the upper right of the check and is sequentially incremented from one check to the next.
Use the form below to create an image of a check. After the check has been generated you can type inside the blank areas of the check and also type over the account
Create A Check
* Digits only. Check will be generated below.
* This check is editable. You can type in most areas of this check by clicking on various fields.
Pay to the
* This check is not valid for actual financial transactions.